Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Stick....bah

So,

One of the things that needed to be done was to update our vehicles. I know this may seem odd considering I just lost my occupation and am still recovering from a broken ankle so the lack of movement was going to be an issue with finding full time gainful employment. The reason behind this is the van basically has died 3-4 times now while we were out and about, it took gentle coaxing and promises of finding something else so she could finally rest to just get her to hobble home each time this happened.

The trucks issues are all body work, I miss her. She was my baby, even though in reality she belonged to R I found a connection with her, we shared in some good times and we comforted each other through some bad times as well, but she needs to be properly taken care of and just being a day to day drive was not what she was destined for.

We replaced the Van with one of R's favorite cars, an Impala. It reminds me of the car he had when we were first together. Honestly I am already in love with the Impala probably because of these memories of when R and I were first dating, navigating that weird but amazing maze of learning about each other and if we meshed. I sit in the Impala and I remember our first kiss, in his Caprice he took me for lunch (a happy meal, seriously it's like he knew the real me from the get go) and then when he brought me back to work he leaned in and kissed me softly on the lips.

Ahhh, okay mushy feelings aside I really do like that car, another main reason is if I am not driving the car or actively engaged in something (i.e reading a book is most likely, or watching the amazing world we live in fly by the windows) I tend to want to nap in the car. The truck and van just did not support this move, it was all bucket seats and center consoles or sitting in the back of the van with the stinky kids.

Not anymore! The Impala has the bench seating in the front that has a folding center console so when I want to nap while were driving home from something I just lean over onto Rob's lap and allow myself to sleep.

Pretty much an amazing investment for R and it allowed him to get a car that seats everyone and it's something he likes to drive, which the van was not :(

 Then there was me and my transportation, I knew I wanted a smaller car. It needed to have seats for 5 but be able to hold 4 comfortably. I would kill for an old school mini but alas that was not to be had :)

My second car of choice is a Volkswagen Golf TDI, I love love love Volkswagen cars. I love the simplicity while incorporating high end details. There was a dealer close by me that had a VW Golf in dark blue, automatic engine, gas.

I fell in love with that car, if I had the cash I would have bought it first glance. It had it all!! Sunroof, power windows, heated seats, upgraded stereo, Air Conditioning (not really a big factor as I have never had it while driving, plus you have a sunroof why would you need air?

Either way, the dealer was willing to lease to me $2000 down, 356 per month, had to buy an extended warranty. It all worked out fine and I could afford it!! Woot Woot, so I took it to my mechanic and he looked it over.

There were about 6 problems that he was concerned with, but told me to bring it to the dealer explain what he had found and ask them to fix them all. During this time, R had decided he wanted to make sure I got fair market value and went hunting on Kijiji and Auto Trader to make sure this guys price was good and that we were not walking into a death trap or missing out on a better opportunity.

The Dealer agreed to my terms and said he would cal and let me know about the repairs from him mechanic. Meanwhile R had called a guy in Niagara On the Lake and arranged for us to test drive his car, his manual transmission car, a car we were looking at purchasing for me, someone who has never drove stick in her life.....

Drove the car, well R drove the car. We tested everything, even I got behind the wheel and stalled it while moving forward 13". I really fell in love with this one, probably because for a car that was a year older than the one before, that had never been in an accident (the other one had), and came in better condition, with winter tires was only my deposit.........yes I paid less than I would have going to the dealer and starting my contract with them would have cost me.

Oh and the kicker, while they were taking the original golf to the mechanic to be looked at it broke down and they had to tow it.....yeah made the right decision.

So thus begins my foray into learning to drive stick, I am slowly grasping the concepts and hill starts still elude me when I am on an actual hill (can do it fine flat) but its a process that will only get better with experience.

Time to stop letting my fears of failure and less worth get in the way of my development and growth!

Yeah! Air punches and signing off!

Nickle

No comments:

Post a Comment